Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Morton's - My favourite Steak Place

This place is as nostalgic to me as "Moon River" is to my parents (ok, a little over done here). I've been to this place a couple of times and I can still recall the first time I was here when I first walked in, how I was charmed by the ambience.
The whole place has a certain charm that really captivates me, it could be the lighting, furniture or just the soft music that fills the air.
I was young then, still in college and I was here with my then beau and his entire family, that was my first brush with fine dining.

The 2nd time I was here, I'd just started working and I was here celebrating Mr HB (my then boyfriend)'s birthday for him.

The 3rd time I was here, it was with the entire family celebrating my MIL's birthday.

The 4th time was after I clinched a big deal for my company and my boss wanted to reward me by giving me the "go-ahead" to have a good dinner with my husband anywhere I wanted to.So well, everytime I step into Morton's, it is sort of like a flashback of my life.

Ok, enuf of me and my past and back to Morton's and the steaks.

The service is always prompt and courteous, they usually whip you to your seats once u show up at the door if you have a reservation (which I usually do).

After being seated, the famous Onion loaf will follow. Personally, I enjoy the onion loaf immensely. It is served warm and very very addictive as it iterally melts in your mouth, the freshness and delightful taste....*drools*....I can eat this everyday!
But life have to go on.

As what the other reviewers have mentioned, the wait staff usually comes round with a trolley of raw ingredients to introduce to you the food that Morton's can offer and yes, they rattle on and on without really giving u a chance to digest the contents of the speech. After a few visits, I have yet to really grasp what they are saying. But well, having a menu does wonder in telling you what is being offered.

Let us begin with the apetizers

1. Lobster Bisque
This is a generous portion that is good for 2. If you let the wait staff know that you are sharing, the good people of Morton's will help you to split it. The bisque is delicious and reeks of flavour. Goes very well with the onion loaf.
2. Jumbo Lump Crab cake
This was always recommended when we visit, but I do not really find this facinating. The taste just does not register in my mind.
3. Oysters
Really fresh and melts in ur mouth.The mains in Morton's does not come with any side dishes. These comes as additional orders (which means more moolah)But I must mention the mashed potato, this is the best mashed potato I have in my entire life - really creamy and bursting with flavour with everybite. But this comes with a hefty price tag of ~20 bucks. Not cheap for a potato. I've had the asparagus and wild mushrooms as well, they are ok but nothing to scream about.

So far, for the mains I have tried the
1. Porterhouse steaks
I had a shock when the food was delivered, I was thinking "this must be a really BIG cow". This portion is definately good for 2, even big eaters. But I did not have a good experience for this order. I ordered Medium for my steak and it was way too bloody for me.
2. Filet Mignon
This was a really juicy and succulent piece of meat. Nicely charred on the outside and retaining the tenderness of the food.
3. Whole Baked Maine Lobster
This was quite creamy and chewy but I gathered is not really worth blowing 180 bucks for something that is not extraordinary. Not that this dish is not good, I guess lobster just doesn't go too well for me.
4. Ribeye
This was good as well but the filet Mignon is preferred.
5. Yellow fin Tuna
The fish was fresh and juicy (but this is expected in a place like Morton's).

By the time we get to this point of the meal, we usually have to loosen our belts. That's why to date, i have only tried the Morton's Legendary Hot Chocolate Cake and the Upside down Appie Pie.

What I am about to say may not really do justice to these desserts but I am usually so full that I am not really able to appreciate how they taste....The appie pie is relatively normal and I cannot relly recall how the hot chocolate cake taste.

After that, we usually tumble out of the restaurant with our tummies touching the ground.The review is making me think of a visit real soon.....

Must Tries: filet mignon, onion loaf

Morton's, The Steakhouse
5 Raffles Avenue,
4F The Oriental Singapore,
Singapore

No comments: