Thursday, May 15, 2008

Imperial Herbal Resaturant & Tcafe - Chinese New Year Food in 1 Bowl

We were here on a Monday night for dinner with some customers after being told that this is a place that serves good chinese food and soups.

I was rushing into the restaurant as I was running a little behind time. The "hands" (actually chairs in the shape of a palm/hand) immediately caught my attention. Decked in loud colours, the first thought that cross my mind was "Is this a mistake?".
Upon reaching our table, I was relived to see that my customers have yet to arrive. I then take the chance to survey the surrounding in greater details. By now, it is very apparent to me that it's attempt to appear chic and modern has back-fired, the theme is very inconsistent and simply does not elude elegance and class in any sense.

We were told that this current place has 3 times the capacity of the old location in Metropole Hotel.We placed orders while waiting for the arrival of our dinner companions and I secrectly pray that the food be better than their choice of interior decor...

1. Egg white with scallop on potato basket - I was told that this is one of their signature dish. True enough, the egg white with scallop mix was delightful with a sprinkle of pepper. Light yet explosive with taste on a fried potato bowl. I like it!

2. Buddha jump over the wall - this order was placed more to cater to the request of a pregnant woman who is craving for soup. Each bowl cost $38 or so I was told. Each bowl is packed with ingredients that you normally eat only during CNY - sharks fin, abalone, sea cucumber, scallop, bamboo shoot and some others. Each sip of soup is packed with flavour and the ingredients are fresh. Yummy. After this bowl, I am already quite full...

3. Beggar's chicken - I only took a small bite off the chicken as I could not really stomach much more food. Again the chicken is of pretty high standard. This is like the chinese version of chicken stew (cooked with some herbs). The chicken meat simply melts in your mouth not to mention the wonderful taste.

4. Some steamed fish - Hmm...I cannot recall what fish this was but whatever it is, it sure is delicious. The fish is very fresh and is "chewy", exluding sweetness with every bite.

5. Some veggies with Wolfberries - This is just normal...

6. Fried Mee Sua - The mee sua also did not disappoint, tangy and tasty.

7. Dessert - Everyone ordered their individual dessert and it's Aloe Vera jelly with fruits for me! The aloe vera jelly is very refreshing, coupled with fruits to give it some crunch. Not too heavy after a big meal.

All in all, the food is good. Service crew appears to be knowledgeable about the food they serve and keen to please.

Must Tries: Egg white with scallop on potato basket

Imperial Herbal Resaturant & Tcafe
1 Harbourfront Walk,
#03-08 VivoCity,
Singapore

No comments: