Thursday, May 15, 2008

Marutama Ra-men - Far from Good

Long queues seen everyday.
Late and you may not even have the chance to savour their ramen - sold out.
All the signs points to fantastic food.
So me and 2 buddies decided to go there for lunch to try the highly popular (and expensive) ramen while gripping over our lives.

OK, so I was late for lunch. The friend that was early (or rather on-time) had to "chop" seat for us. She told me that the waitress(es?) kept giving her dirty looks and was about to make her give up the seat if I was another 5 min late.
You can see how popular this little joint is.

After some quick apologies and settling down into the much coveted seat. I run over the menu which was a 1-pager.
Basically there are only 3 types of ramen or rather stock to choose from - the basic chicken stock, chicken stock with green chili or the special stock (some 7 nut stock), each costing $12, $12 and $15 respectively.

NO nut lovers among us so the orders were 3 marutama ramen, 2 spicy version.

I was very disappointed when I sipped the stock which to me is the soul of a good ramen. It is not rich enough and not flavourful enough to make the cut of a good ramen and it is rather oily.
The noodles are decent but again expected of any good ramen.That bowl of $12 ramen came with 1 small,miserable piece of fat laden char siew and some spring onions and seaweed (read overpriced).

Lucky for me, I did not have to queue to try ramen of this calibre thanks for my punctual friend who had to take dirty looks for 30mins while waiting for us to arrive (Sorry ok?).

In short, overpriced and over-rated.

Marutama Ra-men
6 Eu Tong Sen Street,
#03-90/91 The Central @ Clarke Quay,
Singapore

No comments: