Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Au Petit - Good Food at good price

I've just realised that more than half of my food reviews are results of my work related entertainment.
So hereby, a quick note of gratitude to my company for giving me this opportunity to satisfy my gluttony side without having to burn a hole in my pocket.

Back to Au Petit.Today, I had a lunch appointment at this quaint restaurant as a farewell meal.
The place was surprisingly packed for a weekday lunch; luckily we made reservations prior to coming.
This is the first time I am in the Dempsey vicinty and Au Petit is located in a peaceful little corner in the Dempsey area off Harding Road.

We were seated outside as the air-conditioned area is fully seated.
The surrounding was very soothing as it was away from the main road and not too many commercial/industrial activites around. You can actually hear the noises made by little insects. This would be a great weekend hideout for afternoon tea with your loved one.

We were served water instantly upon sitting and bread followed shortly after.
We then placed our orders and started making small talk.
The servers were quick to top up our glasses as we started nibbling on the free flow of bread and drinking from our glasses.

It took quite a while for the apeitizer to be served, I was worried that my growling stomach noises will start to get noticeable.
The apetizers are
1. Burgandy snails
2. Tomato tart with herbs
3. Lobster claw salad
4. Duck Liver Pate
Snails were a little disappointing as it tasted like clams from zi char stores to me, the lobster claw were kinda tasteless. I did not try the duck liver nor tomato tart. At this point I was thinking if the entire meal is gg to taste like this, I'm definately gg to need some other "comfort" food later.

However, the main course and dessert managed to save the day.

I ordere the Beef Cheeks as main and it was delicious, very tender and melts in your mouth. I had a little of the Rissotto rice which was creamy and tasted good as well. I was told the Beef "Onglet" was normal and the Penne pasta was ok but not extraoridinary.

For desserts, there were orders for
1. Choux buns
2. Cheese platter
3. Fruits and sorbet
4. Sugar-free mousse.
The Choux Buns were heavenly, 2 large scope of vanilla ice-cream in between the buns amid plentiful slices of almond and drizzled with chocolate fudge. It was delightful. The sugar free mousse was bitter sweet and packed with chocolate flavour.
Cheese platter and the mixed fruits with sorbet did not really appeal to me and I did not try them.

All in all, I would rate this as a very pleasant dining experience and value-for money french food which I intend to introduce to my husband.

Must Tries: Beef Cheek, Choux Bun

Au Petit Salut (Dempsey)
40C Harding Road,
Tanglin Village (Dempsey Road),
Singapore

No comments: