Sunday, July 20, 2008

My First Baking Entry!

I finally baked something!

I decided to start my baking adventures with scones for 2 reasons
1. I H.E.A.R.T them
2. They are easy enuf for me to attempt them.

I made them over the weekends, consecutively for 2 days.

Here, some illustrations of my hard-tolled products.

Ever since my SIL moved out, we have been void of a proper oven. What's left behing is a microwave oven that I use for my baking (mis)adventures.

My first recipe called for baking in the oven for 8-10mins but I ended up baking them for 20 due to my unfamiliarity with the microwave oven. But the scones turned out ok though my family commented that they tasted salty (could be due to the salt and/or the salted butter?).
The scones were quite dense probably due to the amount of milk that I used. The recipe called for 90ml and I think I ended using 200ml as the dough simply doesn't seem to be able to hold with flour falling off. And in the final stage I have poured in too much milk resulting in the dough to be sticky and hence the density of the scones.

The next day, I baked another 2 batches (with raisin this time) and tried with a higher temperature (230 degC) instead of the 180 the previous day. Again I made the same mistake of pouring too much milk. As a result the scones were browned on the outside and not totally cooked on the inside. I had to bake them at a lower temperature once more.

Not wanting to give up, I baked yet another batch of scones. This time round, I got the right dough, something that binds but does not stick to the hands. I was very happy when I managed to achieve that.
They turned out to be pretty tasty (by my standards).

Btw, I had scones for breakfast consecutively for 3 mornings after that.

No comments: