Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Raffles the Plaza (Plaza Market Cafe): 1 for 1 Buffet Dinner

Being a new Buffet Fanatic, how can I miss the chance to take advantage of this offer? So I promptly made a reservation for 2 in the first week of July to feast myself silly.

Upon entering the cafe, I was greeted by throngs of crowd. Apparently many people already knew of this offer. The food station appears to be somewhat messy perhaps due to the large crowd dishing food from the trays and dropping food on the tables. A bad first impression!

Ok, onto the food. Walk round and surveyed the food selection.
The first station is the Japanese. They have sashimi (which ran out very fast), the server replacing the sashimi did not do a good job and simply transferred the sliced salmon from a big tray onto the buffet table which makes it look like a cheap supermarket counter.
Also seen are soba and some sushi.Walking further down, there is a Kuey Pie Tee area which appears to be very popular with the diner for reasons I could not understand. They tasted extremely normal to me and this is the messiest station of all with egg and crumbs all over.
Up next is the popiah station, they have a chef to roll the poppiahs for you. Again nothing fantastic abt the popiahs, they were too sweet to being with.

They variety of cooked food is also limited. However, they do have all kinds of meat - chicken, beef, fish, lamb and the carving of the day is pork leg which helped to salvaged the buffet somewhat.

Also avaliable is a salad bar and a nonya station where you can find some sambal kangkong (very spicy, not for those with weak stomach) and assam fish among others. Another save is the sweet and sour pork which was pretty tasteful.

After the disappointing main dishes, I proceeded to the dessert station and the first thing I went to was the durian puree which again left me disappointed. The puree was somewhat not as tasteful as the one in Merchant court and I could taste some "not so ripe" durian flesh among them so after 1 bowl, I moved on to savour the cakes. I tried the cheesecake and chocolate moouse cake which was pretty ok (better than the durian puree). The dessert offering again is not fantastic and coupled with so-so quality makes it a miss with me.

Service staff however are pretty prompt to clear table.In summary, for a 1 for 1 offer, I would say it is a good offer. If there is no promotion, I do not think that 42+++ per pax is justified for this spread.

Raffles the Plaza (Plaza Market Cafe)
80 Bras Basah Road
2F Fairmont Singapore

No comments: