Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Merchant Court (Ellenborough Cafe): Star of the Show - Durian Puree!

The title says it all.

The best thing from the buffet is the Durian Puree. I had FOUR bowls of the durian puree until I was almost ready faint from "stuffation".
Since I am on this topic, let's start with the dessert. The dessert selection is actually plentiful, however, mostly local and peranakan desserts. They have red bean soup, sesame paste, bo bo cha cha among others.
The peranakan kueys are also delightful though some are a little sweet (but then again, I have a sweet tooth). The chocolate bread and butter pudding was yummy and I had 3 servings....*guilty look*.
As a cake lover, I was somewhat disappointed that the cake variety is almost non exsistent. There is only chocolcate mousse cake and coffee cheesecake which did not appeal to me (not a coffee lover). There is also ice-cream available, 2 or 3 flavours - raspberry and I cannot rmb what but all tasted pretty decent.

The cold station is found at a distance away from the cooked food. You can find prawns, oysters, sashimi and soba here. Not a cold food fanatic, I only had some sashimi which are pretty fresh.

Onto the cooked food, the selection is not vast and all the food here is somewhat biased towards peranakan. The seabass with bean paste is fresh and meat tender. You can also find braised sea cucumber, roasted duck, chicken, veggies, mutton rendang among others.
Being a Tuesday lunch, the action station that day is satay. Meat is thick and succulent and noodle station is Ipoh Hor Fun which I did not try.

The place is croweded and the service is ok. But due to it's popularity, the attention of the staff is somewhat divided. Glasses have to be asked to be topped up.

This is one of the most value for money buffet in Singapore with lunch being $26.90+++. Will definately go back again even if it's just for the durian puree!
There was a promotion for 1 free diner for every 3 paying adults when I was there.

Merchant Court (Ellenborough Cafe)
20 Merchant Road
GF Swissotel Merchant Court

No comments: